You’ve read through why you should have an engagement session and now you’ve gone ahead and booked one. The only problem is you have NO IDEA how to prepare for one. I mean, were do you go? What do you wear? Is there anything else involved? I’m so nervous about getting my picture taken I can hardly stand it! AHHHHHH!!!
Ok, take a deeeeep breath & release! There now, don’t you feel better? No? Ok well keep reading and your pulse will slow and the tightness in your chest will recede. It’s going to be allllllright!
Once you’ve selected your photographer and you’re on board with an engagement session the next step is preparation.
– No i’m not talking about the pretty park down the street from your house. Choose something that expresses you as a couple. Ok, granted sometimes that IS the pretty park down the street, but most times it’s not. Maybe it’s the place he proposed, maybe it’s an activity you love doing together, maybe it fits a theme that is just perfect for you both. Whatever it is, it can be made into a great photo session. Take some time to think about it and talk about it with your photographer. 9 times out of 10 they’ll be more excited about the idea than you are!
This was not staged! Woohoo!
– This may sound like an obvious thing, but not everyone thinks the way I do, so I’ll elaborate. When I chat with my clients about their You + Me session (engagement session), I typically recommend 2 outfits. Why 2 you ask? Because it gives you some variety and a failsafe. Failsafe? Why would I need that for an outfit?
Chances are you’ve never had professional pictures taken in your entire wardrobe. So even though you may like something in the mirror, you may not like it in photographs. Having 2 options will be easier than having to reschedule the whole session just because that dress didn’t fit you right or that sweater looked different in the store. My goal as a photographer is to make you look FANTASTIC in anything, but we are our own worst critics and even if other people think you look fabulous our own mind can tell us otherwise. Plus having the option of contrasting looks (e.i. comfy & dressy, vintage & modern, etc…) can never hurt.
– Props are optional, you and your love is really all you need. BUT, having props will give you something to interact with. They’re especially helpful for people who have no idea what to do with their hands! Grab a prop and problem solved! They can also add an element of whimsy or add something fun to your day that you wouldn’t normally think of.
– A lot of my clients want to be photographed with their pets, especially their pooch! Animals are another great way to give you something to do if you’re feeling awkward in front of the camera. They’ll distract you from the giant lens 20 feet away and allow you to be in the moment. Plus you immediately level up in cuteness points!
– You can’t plan for everything. Sometimes
Hopefully now you’ll feel a little more prepared going into your shoot!
Ultimately, the only thing that matters for an engagement session is that you’re together and in love. With the right photographer everything else will fall in place!
Fabulous article chica! Great tips!!