Welcome to my blog! I'm thrilled to be able to share with you my favorite images from weddings, engagements, maternity, and more! Grab a cup of coffee and get snuggly cuz this blog will give you all the feels!
It’s officially…technically…kinda sorta been a year since I’ve moved down to Kernersville, NC. I “moved” last February & I spent over half of the year here, so I guess that counts right? The other…almost half….I spent between upstate NY & FL.
I’m not sure if the time I’ve spent here in North Carolina has been enough to say that I’ve been fully immersed in southern culture, but I’d like to think I’ve gotten a good dose. Overall, I’ve loved my time here and I’m just starting to discover what really makes the Piedmont Triad so wonderful! This year has been an extreme growth year, as in I’ve been tilled up, replanted, and weeded like no other! Restarting a business in a new area has not been the easiest task and if I’m being honest, I’m still in the throws of figuring it all out. There’s no set formula for success. Ever. Just a lot of hard work, hand shakes, and coffee meetings.
Some things I’ve learned about business:
– No matter how successful you are in one place is doesn’t guarantee success elsewhere
– You have to be diligent to get results even when you feel like giving up
– Word of mouth is still the absolute best way to advertise
– Growth takes time, patience is NOT easy
– There are people you can connect with anywhere, you just have to go out there and find them
– Being unique is good – push for excellence – never stop learning!
Things I’ve learned about the south:
– Winters are WAY warmer over all with hardly any snow
– When there is snow…or the threat of snow…LIFE SHUTS DOWN…which is great and terrible at the same time
– Shopping carts are called buggy’s…get it right!
– Grits can come with practically anything
– There’s a lot of brick buildings…I LOVE brick buildings…
– Parking lots don’t make sense…seriously what were the designers here thinking?
– There are varying types/strengths of southern accents all within a 20 mile radius..and I may secretly want one…
– They sure know how to do food right down here!
Things I’ve learned about myself:
– I’m allergic to oak trees right before they bloom…there’s a lot of oak here.
– Cheesy grits are good, regular grits are gross
– I prefer driving over flying
– I have to watch my Chic Fil A addiction (mmmm waffle fries…)
– I can reduce my life into 1 bedroom
– Google chat & Face Time are the best inventions ever
– My body really does love the sun…who knew?! YAY VITAMIN D!
I’m so grateful for the new connections I’ve made here in NC. I’ve got a wonderful circle of friends who are willing to spread the word about MLP. I’ve still got a good chunk of work in NY this year, but I’m hoping that it will equal out to be about half n half.
Here are my 2014 Business goals:
– Book 10 North Carolina weddings (2 down, 8 to go!)
– Book 20 Simply Beautiful Couture sessions
– Join at least 2 wedding photo print competitions to push my work
– Find a studio/meeting space
– Network, network, network!
– Blog more about life
– Create new systems to help stay organized when traveling
– Get involved in the community
– Get plugged into a good cardio kickboxing class
– Finish the Bible chronologically
– Create 20 original videos
– Continue to pay off debt (I will be debt free one day!)
– Make new friends wherever I go
I am going to work extremely hard to meet my goals and if any of you want to help me make them, I’m totally down for that too! 😉 Here’s a little photo collage of the past year through my iphone. Man has it been crazy! Enjoy!
This is one of my most favorite times of year! It’s CANVAS GIVEAWAY TIME!!! WOOHOO!
Usually I do this right before Christmas, because I LOVE giving away presents! This year though, my schedule was a level of crazy that I was not prepared for. So here we are about a month after Christmas, but hey, belated presents are still presents and we love them ANY time of year!
This season we have 17 fantastic contestants! Here are the rules:
Vote once a day, every day, until midnight of January 26th. The couple with the most votes will win a free 16×24 canvas to feature in their home! Get your family, friends, coworkers, gym buddies, strangers on the street, etc…involved! The more people you can get to vote for you, the better your chances! Only votes on the actual poll at the bottom of this page will count. “Write in’s” on FB are not valid. I will announce the winner next Monday, January 27th.
Now I need to put in a disclaimer here, in past years there has been issues trying to vote from multiple devices. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can’t. I think it has to do with the ip address. If you have any issues voting, please contact me at MabynLudke@gmail.com.
2014 is just around the corner. Where did this year go? I was reminiscing with my friend Kate, of the Lovewell Post, the other day about our past season and all that’s come with it. At the beginning of every year she comes up with a word that describes what that year will be. 2013’s word was definitely CHANGE! With moving to North Carolina, there was so much upheaval that my floor didn’t feel very steady. But the one thing that never wavered, was the quality of my clients. Each and every one was completely fantastic and unique! I had so much fun putting this blog post together, there are so many good memories associated with each wedding. From the cute little flower girls at Chris & Bethany’s day, to the groomsmen who knew all the words to “A Munchkin Welcome” from the Wizard of Oz from Erin & Ben’s day, and the hilarious wedding party that had an epic battle with golf carts at Tirzah & PJ’s wedding!
Every year around this time, I am overwhelmed with gratitude. I’m grateful that so many people find value and worth in my work. I am grateful for friends and family that have and continue to support me in this journey, and especially I am incredibly grateful that I get to create for a living. In my opinion, there is no better job in the world. This is my huge heart felt THANK YOU to everyone who made 2013 great! 2014 is bound to be full of more wonderful clients, friends, and adventures, I can hardly wait to see them all unfold! For now though, I am continent to put on my nostalgic cap and reminisce over the great wedding moments of 2013! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I can’t believe 2013 is almost over. This year has flown by faster than Superman, I swear! With all of the changes & traveling that I’ve done I feel like 2013 barely started and *POOF* here it is about to end. I had a lot of fun reflecting on my past shoots this year. I’ve met some amazing couples and captured some sugary sweet moments.
You + Me sessions are one of my absolute favorite things to do. Not only do I get to know a couple better and start a friendship, but these images are even more timeless than your wedding photographs. When you look back on your wedding day you’ll see things that capture the times “style.” Dress, decor, etc… (We all know what an 80’s wedding looks like!) But, when you take a look at photographs of just you as a couple, in your favorite outfit, doing your favorite things as a couple, no decade can put it’s timestamp on that kind of love! Here is a look back on the You + Me sessions I did this year. Some are brand new couples getting ready for marriage and some of anniversary sessions to celebrate their commitment. I dare you to try and tell which is which. Love is love is love and I’m the luckiest girl ever to document it!